Monday, February 25, 2008

Try All You Want, Buddy...


As I start out on this frigid day, I instantly regret having only put on 4 layers of clothing. Having only been gone for a short while, the 15 minute walk leaves me aching for my beloved radiator. Deciding to go forth with my drift, I hear a slight clicking noise in the distance, with a rather loud venting sound nearly muffling the clicks. As I approach the unmarked building I immediately notice the pipe sticking arbitrarily out of the wall, with a stream of heated steam coming out. Below it lies some electric equipment, the kind of thing a person trips over repeatedly as they walk by with their heads held too high. The whirring of the devices seem to imply that all is not right inside the building, but perhaps this insight is just envy of the occupants inside who are much warmer than I am.

The reverberations between this building and the flat wall across the street cause the overwhelming sounds of the distance (aka cars) to seem closer than they actually are. The radiance from the pipe is indeed a fresh burst of heat, but the comfort is short lived as the steam seems to dissapate well before the top of the devices. The bitter cold freezes my hands as I hold the microphones steady, just waiting for the time to return to my radiator.

No comments: