Monday, February 25, 2008

One Man's Bridge...


One of the sadder things I had seen in a while, especially on the cold day I happened to be out. While walking down the path to the Milwaukee River, I turned around as I heard a dog heading in my direction. While giving the dog a pat and saying hello to the people walking him, I noticed a purple heap beneath the bridge. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that it was a sleeping bag, having been abandoned. As I climbed the treacherous but short hill to the area where the bridge connects to the land, I was overwhelmed by the rushing noise of cars passing above. The larger vehicles caused the earth to shake, and the rocks to shift ever so slightly, making it very hard to stand still. Despite the overhead bridge, there was no screen for to prevent the wind, and the bitter cold of the night before could not have made for ideal sleeping conditions. As I was walking through the path to return to civilization, a seemingly homeless man who couldn't have been nicer approached, and asked if I needed any help finding my way back. I told him I was good, shook his hand and went on my way, just hoping that this good person was not a man that had to sleep under a bridge during the brutal nights in Milwaukee.

No comments: